Tuesday 23 September 2014

New Lecturers Boost Physiology Profile of School


We are priviledged and excited to be welcoming 2 new members of staff to our school who will take an active part in all aspects of physiology in the context of both teaching and research.  So who are they and what do they do?

Dr Nicola King – Lecturer in Cardiac Physiology
Just prior to joining Plymouth University I worked for five years at the University of New England in Armidale, New South Wales, Australia. I led and taught in a number of modules including 2nd year physiology for nurses, biomedical sciences, and BSc students and human nutrition for 2nd and 3rd year students. I also gave lectures and facilitated problem based learning tutorials for medical students. Before that I worked at the University of Brunei Darussalam teaching mainly medical students and leading the team that introduced a new degree in biomedical sciences. In contrast to this mix of different subjects and courses, at Plymouth I will largely be teaching cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology on the BSc Healthcare Science (physiological sciences) course.

In addition to teaching I carry out research investigating the role of amino acids and small peptides in the heart and student attitudes to inquiry-oriented learning. When the blood flow to the heart is stopped (ischaemia) and then restarted (reperfusion) this can damage the cardiac muscle. Vulnerability to ischaemia reperfusion injury increases as the heart ages and in the presence of comorbidities. My most recent work has been studying how amino acids could help to reduce ischaemia reperfusion injury in ageing hypertrophic (abnormally enlarged hearts due to chronic hypertension) and normal hearts.

In my spare time I like to play hockey as a goalkeeper. The photo below shows me lying down on the job as per usual!









Dr Feisal Subhan – Lecturer in Biomedical Science (Physiology)

After spending 18 years in Hong Kong, I travelled to Newcastle upon Tyne to complete my BSc (Hons) in Physiological Sciences and my PhD, in the Respiration and Exercise Laboratory. I spent the next 17 years working in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and lastly Bahrain. I am happily married with three children, two of them teenagers.

My main area of research is on respiration and human physiology. I have worked on lung function, lung inflammation (using exhaled nitric oxide), occupational lung disease, dyspnoea measurement and reproducibility and recently heart rate variability as a marker of autonomic function. The photo below was taken in June 2014 when I had three A level students from the British School of Bahrain, doing a work placement with me. I showed them some of the research we were doing, and made them subjects, with their permission, of course.

I love teaching physiology and science, and have been doing this for many years. I have taught undergraduate and postgraduate students on various degrees and courses. I have an interest in education and have been a workshop facilitator and organizer during many International Union of Physiological Sciences (IUPS) teaching workshops. From 2010 to 2013, I was an education committee member of the International Union of Physiological Sciences (IUPS).


I regularly play squash and swim. I am an amateur gemmologist and I love spending time with my family. We love to travel and we hope to enjoy this lovely part of the country.

Welcome Nicola and Feisal to the School of Biomedical & Healthcare Sciences; I am sure that our students will make you very welcome and will be enthused by your teaching and research that will enrich their study environment!
Andy Foey Sept. 2014